Sunday, April 20, 2008

Yak review: first time in a Current Designs





Quite a few paddlers said "Where's the white boat?" when they saw me Saturday on the Big Sioux River. The white one was home in the garage, grumbling about being left out. I was test-driving a Current Designs Sirocco, and I have to say I loved it.

I was nervous beforehand as the owner said it feels tippy, and since the trip on the river offered right-away rapids, I was hoping it wasn't there that I found the feel of the boat incorrectly.

It felt about as fast, perhaps a bit faster at times, as my QCC fiberglass boat. And it's plastic. But it is a lot more narrow, and the conditions were pretty much ideal Saturday.

On the cons side of things, it was not as roomy, but it had a lot of nice features, including the rigid seat, and the firm thigh pads.

It was a bit tippy, i.e., it has a definite "spot" where you want to lean to, and on the way to the spot, it can seem unstable, but it never spooked me once I got in and got going. Turned well, and the in-and-out wasn't really as tough as I thought it was going to be, being used to a larger cockpit.

I realized the back pad of the seat was probably not as tight as it should have been when I was cleaning the boat today. I noticed myself wanting to lean back into the cockpit wall of my glass boat on Saturday, but this one has nothing there. In a way, it was good, reminding me to sit up and paddle, not slouch or get lazy.

If you're ever E-baying it and see a Current Designs Sirocco, or find one elsewhere online or in person, I would recommend it. It's a sharp boat. Plus that super-pointy snout she's got, it's just cool, menacing a bit, and seems to scream "sea kayak" to me.

Jarett



3 comments:

John Adler said...

I noticed the boat, but didn't know who was paddling it. Wher most of the boats on the river were in the 10, 12, or 14 foot range, I noticed anything longer. Not too many boats in this type. My Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 is 2 inches longer and an inch narrower than the Sirocco. What they pick up in speed, they lose in initial stability. But, they sure cut through the water.

Great trip this weekend. Just got done too quickly. My GPS recorded the trip as 7.26 miles (I took out just a little farther downstream than most) and my paddling time was 1:27.

Patrick Wellner said...

Has anyone had any experience with Perception's Carolina? I am thinking about getting one. Some time in the next couple of weeks I am going to Rapid to check one out at Global Market.

John Adler said...

Pat - what length Carolina are you looking at? From what I can tell it would be pretty similar to my older boat. It is an Aquaterra Spectrum (Aquaterra is now Perception); 14'3" long. It is a good all around boat. You can sure try it out any time. That would give you an idea of how different it is than your Hurricane.