Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lake Benton - Found the island


P1020034
Originally uploaded by Iron Bieso
I took off about 4 p.m. Sunday, July 19, and drove to Lake Benton, determined to find the island all the maps show on the far northern/eastern end of the lake.

But I had no idea where to put in to best reach the island. I drove through town, then past it a little ways and took a left to head towards the lake. P1010963

I hit water and a nice little beach perfect for kayak launching. The area was dotted with benches but there was really no one around, so I got unloaded and on the water. P1010967

Conditions were ideal - little if any winds, mild temperatures and plenty of sun. I was not alone on this long lake in Minnesota, there were plenty of folks out and about on boats either fishing or skiing. I guess the green hue of the water did not dissuade anyone from getting out on a summery afternoon.P1010973

I made good time up the southern/eastern shore of the lake, passing mostly cabins and boat docks. P1010977I kept reaching points and thinking "The island will certainly be around this one" but after about four of those, I was ready for a leg-stretching break, so I took one.
P1010982

I finally rounded a bend and noticed what appeared to be an island off to the left. I headed out to it to make sure, then stopped on a strip of sand.P1010995

Sure enough, it was the island, and it has its own pond/swamp. P1010997 There was also a cabin out on the island. I circumnavigated the whole thing - be careful, motor boats, there's a ton of shallow water around this isle - and shot this cool "from the deck" video of the back side.



I saw a few herons, a few sea gulls, and then it was time to gun it back to the car some three miles down the shore.

Lake Benton is cloudy with algae now, but it's still a good place to paddle for me.
P1020028

1 comment:

Jay Heath said...

Congrats on your successful exploration! Great photos too!

Jay