Saturday, June 7, 2008

Oak Lake on June 7


P6070271
Originally uploaded by Iron Bieso
I traveled north to Oak Lake today, it's about 20 minutes from my home in Elkton.

Conditions for paddling were near-perfect, with mid 70 temperatures and light west wind.

Oak Lake's put-in was a muddy swamp, but it did not seem to slow folks down. There were seven or more trailer/truck rigs parked near the primitive launch and on the road close by.

But for a paddler, the launch is a perfect shallow beach of gravel, with no large rocks or branches. I put in there, then headed down the near shore.P6070273

Oak Lake has a few cabins and farms upon it, but it is mostly a haven for fishing enthusiasts. I counted 10 or more boats, and even two personal water craft took the lake in the wonderful summer sun.

I saw a few pelicans, and scant turtles, but for the most part, Oak Lake is nothing "wow" inducing. It had clean water P6070285and decent scenery and on a less-busy day it might have more bird life.

It took about two hours of paddling, slow paddling, esp. at the beginning, before I got to the far end of the lake and back again. I did travel up this channel, but it was a dead-end. P6070289 I paddled the CD Sirocco and it was a good late afternoon on water, I must say.

Bies for peace


P.S. - Check out the pocket kitty!P6070268

1 comment:

Jay Heath said...

I am glad that you got out today, Jaratt. Oak Wood looks good, and it was a great day for being out on the water checking out the wildlife.

Jay