Thursday, March 13, 2008

Plan now, thank self later





Howdy-howdy, we're back - sorry, to our few visitors, we do apologize for the scant blogging lately - but it is March after all and NE Sodak is ice, but soon. And we're back with some chat about planning operations, on why now is a good time to get cracking.

The main reason to start planning now is that the rivers of South Dakota only rock for a short time in the spring. Not all, naturally, but the ones out west are typically no fun if you go too late, or between rains.

That's why I have to recommend immediate recon operations on the Net about the Cheyenne River. I wrote a news story about it a while back, and everything I wrote made me want to go. I'm still obsessed with it, 'cause I haven't gone out there yet, but I had these photos to share, they were were taken on the Cheyenne.

Main reason I haven't gone is because I think of it in February and then get side-tracked and end up thinking about again around the Fourth and the hit-miss water levels that late in the summer are dicey for a drive that far.

Caleb Gilkerson took most of the photos. He's a friend of mine, he owns Steamboat, Inc., in Pierre. They do guided day tours, dam runs, multi-day tours - the whole schmear. If the idea of driving with a boat all the way out to NW South Dakota to find a good put-in on your own sounds like a chunk of time too big to bite down on, Google his business. They have all their information on the W.

When I interviewed Caleb, he said more people summit Everest than paddle the Cheyenne River in any given year. I thought that was a pretty cool quote. Some could say "Well, yes, but ... " but if they did I would just say look at the pictures. When I do, I just go, wow, this isn't my Sodak. I could plunge into this time warp world without leaving the state? Sign me up.



Sure, in some ways, you are just out in the middle of Western Sodak, in cattle country, not like some enchanted prairie, but it's an away. A trip like that seems so tempting. Plus loud coyotes at night, rattlesnake population, star gazing galore in true darkness ... an away to dream about or wish for.

Population density so low. Wilderness. Out in an ocean of ranch.

My original point was this: Today is 13 March, and with the snow melt on the way, the Cheyenne should be dandy until at least June. So we should all start planning trips there, and elsewhere, before we end up booked with nonsense until late summer water levels make it a lot less fun than it could be. Of course, USGS.gov helps.

Maybe not all at the same time, same place, but here's to hoping everyone who reads this gets to paddle West River this summer - one new lake, one big river, or one fun trip worthy of writing a story about.

(For our West River readers, love, you are welcome to come east, because in sections, the Big Sioux River is darling and lush.)

Peace!

Bies

If anyone goes west, please post and share, or if you know the Cheyenne River let us know!

Cheers,

Jarett and Laura

4 comments:

John Adler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Adler said...

I'm going to try this again since the web site changed slightly:

Here is the web site for Steamboat:

http://www.steamboatgf.com/dakotaadventures.htm

It is a family business and they do a great job. I ordered my Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 from them last year and a friend of mine bought 4 (yes FOUR) kayaks through them last year.

I haven't been out on the Cheyenne myself, but it is on the short list of destinations.

Anonymous said...

John,

Thanks for the comment - I'm heading to Chamberlain tonight, hoping to scout it out a bit for May.

Thanks, John. Have a good day.

(FYI, we're still trying to get things figured out for Earth Day.)

Anonymous said...

Jarrett -

Let me know if you plan something on the Cheyenne. I'd love to join.

steven