Tuesday, March 4, 2008

So what do you paddle?

We added a photo to the blog today that shows (most) of our boats and we thought it would be a good topic to blog on about.

My boat is a QCC fiberglass kayak. It's about 17 feet long and weighs about 60 pounds empty. It's a "freighter" of a sea kayak, with lots of room for storage and for a paddler who weighs more than 200 pounds. I named it Slippery 2 as my cat, who is also white with black trim, her name is Slippery.
I bought the boat through the QCC folks on the phone. They do not sell retail, only factory direct. Fiberglass is the "bottom end" as they do a lot of those super-spendy kevlar and carbon fiber boats.
I have a rudder on my boat, but I try to avoid using it so I can master hip steering.

Laura's kayak is a Perception roto-molded sea kayak. It's a 15-footer and weighs a little less than mine. We wanted to avoid getting her a boat so short we'd have trouble sticking together on longer trips. Having paddled them both, Penelope, as Laura calls hers, has no trouble with speed. Plus she's sturdy, not tippy at all, and takes a spray skirt with aplomb. It has a skeg, but we're considering adjusting it as it doesn't seem to descend much when deployed. We're still trying to decide if that skeg helps much. And our soft-side cooler fits nicely in the back hatch!

What do you paddle? We found Laura's boat at a Sioux Falls, S.D., retailer, and the price was right, but here in Flatland USA, we're curious as to who paddles what boats and where they got 'em.

Holler!

Jarett

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never paddled with me on Oahe, but head to DC and we'll paddle with the hermaphrodite fish in the Potomac.

DC

Jay Heath said...

That is a great photo of sunset over Grass Lake. I can hardly wait to get the rack on the car roof, load up the kayak, and head out to that beautiful body of water. It is time for new cruises, new photos, and refreshed narrative.

Anonymous said...

Don,
Thanks for the note - I carry the regret of not joining you (at your home!) on the water. Thanks again for the lovely evening in Pierre, sorry again for pulling a Monroe-factor on you header floor and john.
I will take you up on that DC, thing, man. Someone should do a feature in South Dakota magazine about ... you!

John Adler said...

To answer the question on what I paddle: I have a 14 foot older Aquaterra Spectrum with no rudder or skeg. Last year I bought a Wilderness Systems Tempest (17 foot with a skeg). The skeg is helpful when there is a strong crosswind to help with tracking straight. I only use it part of the time and don't want to get reliant on it. I have tried a couple kayaks with rudders and am not sold on them.